Friday, October 31, 2014

October, 2014

The Rubbing Strakes (Continued)

 After removing the clamps and cleats I had to step back and spend some time thinking about what I had to do next. This is delicate finishing work. I can't afford to make a mistake since that would probably mean replacing a rubbing strake piece.

I had to develop a technique that would take me down several steps to achieve a smooth flush surface between the deck and the rubbing strake. I decided to do it in 3 steps, each subsequent step slower than the previous one.
  1. Shaving with my Stanley block plane
  2. Coarse sanding (80 grit paper)
  3. Fine Sanding (220 grit paper)

The blue tape served as protection during the entire process and prevented me from getting too close to the deck. Shaving took me close to ~0.5mm off the deck. From there, coarse sanding took me down to the blue tape until it started to peel off. Then, light sanding to a smooth finish between the deck and the rubbing strake.

Getting to the joint was like uncovering a treasure in the sand. Anxious to get there but cautious not to damage it.

I'm pretty happy with the joints I achieved for being this the very first time I do this type of wood work.


Always sanding along the deck grain too avoid scuff marks.


View of the port side as I sand down the rubbing strake.

The scarf joints came out better than I expected.


View of the port side rubbing strake after the initial 3 step process.


View of the aft port scarf joint between the aft rubbing strake piece and the next piece.

Photograph of port side rubbing strake piece #4 while sanding the excess material off the front, before fairing.

Next, the aft section of the same piece before sanding and fairing.


View of port side rubbing strake piece #4 after sanding and initial fairing.


Working down the aft scarf joint with the belt sander.



Same scarf joint after sanding and initial fairing.


View of the aft starboard scarf joint after sanding and initial fairing.


View of the forward starboard scarf joints after sanding and initial fairing.


Here she is today.

Next steps are to sand and finish fairing the entire outer face of the rubbing strakes. Then, trimming the rubbing strakes to width per station based on Keith Callaghan's drawings.


Until the next update... Fair winds and fun sailing!




No comments:

Post a Comment